File ownership problems...Solaris 2.5.1 and Samba 1.9.17alpha5

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Tue Aug 26 19:16:44 GMT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Phillip Dale wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> -> > smbstatus claims I have 60 (or so connections)  although I only have about
> -> > 35 smbd processes.
> -> >
> -> > Most of my smbd processes are owned by root and NOT the user.
> ->
> -> >  The problem
> -> > we are experiencing now is that files created directly from a prompt or
> -> > Notepad (i think it was), works well.  When a program, such as Word or
> -> > Eudora create files, they are owned by root (!?) !!!
> ->
> -> you're the second person to report this, on the digest, with 1.9.17alpha5.

> [global]
>    protocol = NT1
>    guest account = pcguest

>    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
>    domain controller = MYWinNT
>    password server = MYWinNT

>    security = server
>    domain logons = yes
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    remote announce = 194.47.129.255 194.47.134.255 194.47.140.255

> [Netlogon]
>    comment = Netlogon for loginscripts
>    path = /usr/local/lib/netlogon
>    browseable = no
>    readonly = yes
>    public = yes

i'm curious.  you have domain logons = yes, and the netlogon set
browseable = no, and you have an NT domain controller already.  does this
actually work?  i'm _really_ curious to know!!! :-)

ok, you are using security = server.  this should be the same as security
= user, except that the unix (samba) server trusts the NT server to
authenticate the user.  i'm not familiar with the exact workings of it,
however.

hm.

anyone else know about security = server mode?

luke