smbtar and passwords

Martin Mielke martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
Tue Aug 26 10:46:55 GMT 1997

Hello (again) everybody,

I'm using smbtar running on a SGI under IRIX 6.2 to create backup files
from our NT and Win95 machines. To achieve this I had to create a user
"root" on the NT box (just to let "root" do all the important tasks :) )
with a password.
The process is launched by a cron every night but I find the way to use
smbtar a little bit 'clumsy', as I have to provide both username and
password (SAMBA_PASSWD_STRING) on the cronfile  and this is visible to
everyone with root-access to the system. As example take a line like
this one:

smbtar -s ${PCBOX} -x ${SHARE} -d ${DIRECTORY} -t
${DESTINATION_BACKUP_FILE} -u root -p ${SAMBA_PASSWD_STRING}

By now the root passwd for the IRIX box running the backup cronjobs is
unknown for the rest but I guess there are some other ways to solve it
more cleanly and I'd appreciate all kind of help.

Best regards and thanks in advance!

/Martin
Martin Mielke			 martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
Jaleo Crew - SysAdm	   voice: ++34 (9)28 262299