Win95 clients not logging in to Samba

Louis Mandelstam lma at sacc.org.za
Tue Aug 26 10:26:28 GMT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Luke Leighton wrote:

> right - we understand what's going on, and the bottom line is, you
> can't use the [homes] share at the moment to store profiles.  it _has_
> to be the share _generated_ from the [homes] share.

When I started moving a site's (Win95 based) users over from the old
outgoing Netware server to a machine running Samba, I soon changed from
using [homes] at all, to making a [homedir] share as follows:

[homedir]
   comment = Your home directory
   path = /home/%u
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mask = 0770

I realize that not everyone has the luxury of having all their users'
home directories in the same place...  Shame, poor you ;-) - symlinks?

Anyway, this enabled me to do all kinds of nifty things like hardcode
their word processors to expect their documents in \\sacc2\homedir and I
soon decided I liked this home dir approach better than the special
[homes] support in Samba.  I've no clue if the [homes] way of doing things
in standard in the NT world.

So, my question - with the above setup, I should not having problems
putting the user profiles into their home directories as well?

Do system policies go into netlogon I presume?

I still need to play with all this.  My first short attempt with the Win95
Resource Kit on hand wasn't as successful as I'd hoped.  (no surprise)

Louis Mandelstam              Tel +27 83 227-0712   Symphony  /|\   /|\
Linux systems integration     http://sr.co.za       Research {   } {   }
Johannesburg, South Africa    mailto:louis at sr.co.za (Pty)Ltd {___} {___}