NT and roaming profiles problem solved

Luke Leighton lkcl at pires.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 09:25:02 GMT 1997

Key points:

The environment which I was able to get roaming profiles:

All user workstations are running Windows NT 3.51
The NT Server (PDC) is running NT Server 4.0
Need to use encrypted passwords,
and (for me at least) use "security = server" with "password server =
<PDC>".

(for me).  So, when I got roaming profiles working, it was with a
test
server running with security = user and using the smbpasswd file.  I
also
seemed to have success with security = server and setting my security
server
to the NT server.  Nobody said it would work, but my brief tests
seemed to
work.

so can i just clarify things here, for the documentation:

- if you use "security = server", you _do not_ need to have encrypted
passwords.
- if you use "security = user" you _do_ need to have encrypted
passwords

which makes a lot of sense to me.  the nt machines attempt to make a
non-interactive SMB connection for the profile downloading.  it fails,
because
the SMB server (in this instance) requests clear-text passwords, which
the
client refuses.

if someone could confirm to me that "security = server" does not need
encrypted passwords, i will update the nt profile documentation,
currently
being written from these empirical observations.

luke