(LONG) Please help. Subnet browsing 1.9.17alpha5 (LONG)

Stefaan A Eeckels Stefaan.Eeckels at ecc.lu
Sun Aug 17 21:14:34 GMT 1997

Richard,

The problem might be that in your setup the service

WORKGROUP(1c)

doesn't exist. When I run an nbtstat against my Samba server,
I get the following (my workgroup is called E.C.C.):

H:\>nbtstat -a justus

       NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

   Name               Type         Status
JUSTUS         <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
JUSTUS         <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
JUSTUS         <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
.__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered
E.C.C.         <00>  GROUP       Registered
E.C.C.         <1B>  UNIQUE      Registered
E.C.C.         <1C>  GROUP       Registered
E.C.C.         <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
E.C.C.         <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

and a dump of my wins.dat file gives:

E.C.C.#00 0 0.0.0.0 c4S
E.C.C.#1e 0 0.0.0.0 c4S
JUSTUS#20 0 0.0.0.0 44S
JUSTUS#03 0 0.0.0.0 44S
JUSTUS#00 0 0.0.0.0 44S
*#00 0 0.0.0.0 44S
*#20 0 0.0.0.0 44S
__SAMBA__#20 0 0.0.0.0 44S
__SAMBA__#00 0 0.0.0.0 44S
JOSQUIN#20 871893631 192.168.1.4 60R
JOSQUIN#00 871893631 192.168.1.4 60R
JOSQUIN#03 871893631 192.168.1.4 60R
STEFAAN#03 871893631 192.168.1.4 60R
JOSQUIN#01 871893631 192.168.1.4 60R
E.C.C.#1c 0 0.0.0.0 c4S
E.C.C.#1b 0 0.0.0.0 44S
JOSQUIN#1f 871893631 192.168.1.4 60R

As far as NT is concerned, the PDC is also the Domain Master
Browser. I guess that the lack of a 1c service causes 'cascade'
to conclude that there is no DMB (IMVHO).
I don't know why you don't have an entry for the 1c service;
my domain/browsing setup is quite similar to yours, apart from
the fact that I have no subnets:

;  Domain options
        workgroup = E.C.C.
        preferred master = yes
        domain master = yes
        os level = 255
        domain logons = yes
        logon script = %U.bat
;  Browsing option
        wins support = yes

It is possible to force nmbd to advertise the 1c service by
manually adding it to the wins.dat file before starting
nmbd. It's a wild stab, but you could give it a try.

Best of luck

Stefaan