(LONG) Please help. Subnet browsing 1.9.17alpha5 (LONG)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Sun Aug 17 21:39:51 GMT 1997

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Richard L. Colley wrote:

> I've posted a number of articles to comp.protocols.smb, without success.

that's because i hate news, and don't read it / respond to it / know _how_
to access it.  [the fact that the samba digest is posted to
comp.protocols.smb really annoys me: i get all sorts of stupid shite from
idiots that trawl newsgroups for email addresses, and i hate it.  end of
complaint session].

> Things that are NOT the problem
> ===============================
> 1. anything to do with encrypted passwords
> 	- samba has been compiled with encrypted password support.
> 	- this has been verified working by
> 		a) using "net view \\oasyd"
> 		b) setting remote announce in samba causes "oasyd" to
> 		   appear in the subnet 201.1.2.X browse list (as expected)

this is a likely problem: you are confusing the browse clients by sending
out announcements that inform them that oasyd is only a "workgroup
member", instead of what it is: a "domain master".

> The smb.conf file
> =================
>
> Or at least a portion of it...
>
> 	[global]
>
> 	debug level = 9
> 	guest account = nobody
>
> 	lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
> 	share modes = yes
>
> 	security = user
> 	hosts allow = 201.1.1. 201.1.2.
> 	workgroup = WORKGROUP
>
> 	encrypt passwords = yes
> 	read prediction = yes
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
>
> 	preserve case = yes
> 	short preserve case = yes
> 	mangle case = no
> 	case sensitive = no
>
> 	time server = yes
>
> 	wins support = yes
> 	dns proxy = yes
> 	;wins proxy = yes
>
> 	;domain controller = 201.1.1.1
> 	;domain logons = yes
> 	;logon script = %U.bat
>
> 	; We control browsing!
> 	os level = 65
> 	domain master = yes
> 	local master = yes
> 	preferred master = yes
> 	;remote announce = 201.1.2.255

looks good to me...  try switching on domain logons again, though.  and
don't use domain controller = x.x.x.x in combination with domain logons =
yes and / or domain master = yes: read the documentation on exactly what
the domain controller parameter is.

also, are you aware that browse lists will take at least 15 minutes to
propagate across the entire LAN?  look for MasterAnnouncement packets in
you log.nmb files.  if there are any, and there is an interchange of
NetServerEnum2 calls (browse list syncs), then everything's hunky-dory.

luke