Samba & Daylight savings time (was Re: Linux smbfs 2.0.29...)

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Aug 14 00:52:58 GMT 1997

> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:52:21 -0700
> From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer at mhsc.com>
> To: eknuds at extremenetworks.com
> Cc: "samba at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au" <samba at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
> Subject: Re: Linux smbfs 2.0.29...
>
> At 04:45 AM 8/14/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with daylight savings time
> >handling between Linux and NT 4.0.
>
> Not since I started synching with SNTP.
>
> check the URL http://time.mhsc.com
>
> I have setup a virtual host which discusses time issues on my domain. All
> machines are at stratuum II, with stratum  III for the WinNT machines. With
> continuous time-sync, daylight savings time, on NT, is not an issue any
> longer. Although I'm sure that Bill the Gator would not approve, since he
> can't get richer from it.
>
> The programs I mention on the site are also available for Win95 and WfW.
>
> This is not a Samba issue.

Unless something has changed in the 1.9.17 series, there is a samba issue
related to DST. Samba calculates a time offset when it starts up, then
uses this unchanged forever. If you are starting "smbd" from inetd, this
is usually good enough. If however you run smbd as a daemon, the time
offset will become wrong on the transitions to and from daylight savings
time, resulting in a one hour disrepency in time until smbd is restarted.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301