Pointing your Win95/WinNT Desktop directory to an SMB share?

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Wed Aug 13 19:07:31 GMT 1997

Left click (once) on your desktop in an area where there are no icons,
this will give focus to the desktop. Then hit F5. It's the shortcut to
Refresh.

Alternatively, try these keystrokes:

CNTL-ESC
ESC
TAB
TAB
F5

Enjoy!

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Arcadio A. Sincero Jr. wrote:

> Hello SAMBA Mailing List,
>
> 	Using TweakUI from the PowerToys suite of tools, one can easily
> make thier Desktop directory point to any directory they want.  I tried
> making my Desktop directory point to an SMB share on my Linux server
> running SAMBA (v1.9.16p11).  However, this doesn't work very well at all.
> The problem is that any changes made to the Desktop directory do not
> become immediatly apparent on the Desktop.  I noticed this same behavior
> when browsing other SMB drive shares from Explorer windows.  However, with
> Explorer windows, all you need to do is simply hit View->Refresh.  This
> option isn't available for the Desktop tho.  And even if it was, it still
> wouldn't be ideal at all.
>
> 	I suspect this is a limitation of the SMB protocol, but I thought
> I might check with the SAMBA list first.  Thanks in advance for any info
> on this!

> Arcadio A. Sincero Jr. a.k.a The TicK -=LpC=-
> Undergraduate Computer Science Major/Linux Enthusiast/Competitive Bodybuilder
> WWW: http://www.coming.to.a.web.site.near.you.com
> e-mail: asincero at erols.com
>
> Come hang out with me on IRC at irc.linpeople.org or face me in Quake at
> quake.linpeople.org!

                                [Darrin]

 "I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious."
				- A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753