Suggestion: Removable device shares

Bob Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 12:03:16 GMT 1997

Hi,

Just a suggestion; apologies if there's already a way to do this, but...

I have several shares on my server which are for removable devices (ZIP
drive, CD-ROM drives, etc.) and so are not always mounted.  When they
aren't mounted, the volume size / used information corresponds to the
filesystem in which the mount point lies (as you'd expect).

To make things clearer, could we have a 'removable device = yes' option
in smb.conf (or something like that) which makes the share unavailable if
no filesystem is mounted at the root of the share (or at least, if this
causes problems, makes the disk size / used = 0).

Thoughts?

Ta, etc.

  - Bob

        "THE DAY TODAY - Because FACT times IMPORTANCE equals NEWS!"
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{]                            Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.         http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~mince/