Win95 losing connections on mixed Samba/NT network

Marco A. Zamora mzamora at cbbanorte.com.mx
Tue Aug 12 19:47:08 GMT 1997

Sorry if it's a FAQ, but I've scanned the list archives and haven't found a
reference to this problem:

My win95 computer has several "ghosted" drive connections to many servers (I'm
the sysadmin and need instant access to every commonly used share on the
corporate network).

These connections include shares on different kinds of servers:
	Samba 1.9.16p9-6 on RedHat Linux 4.1 & 4.2
	Samba 1.9.15p6 on HP-UX 9.04
	NT 3.51 SP3
	NT 4.0  SP3

When I run any M$Office application from the G: drive (an NT3.51 box), and then
access any Samba server who's drive is "ghosted" (session starts on demand when
first accessed), the applications on the G: drive crash and burn with an
invalid page fault, and the G: drive shows up disconnected and will not
reconnect.

I can avoid this by not ghosting connections, but many of these connections are
to servers acress routers, and this would lengthen the PC's login time to up to
3 minutes!

Anybody know of a cure?...			Marco Zamora