Samba errors?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Tue Aug 12 18:33:44 GMT 1997

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Spiros B. wrote:

> > this is a little confusing, however i think i follow you.  the access
> > that you are seeing, namely, C->A->PC is correct.  your server A is
> > exporting a directory on C.  therefore, the PC, when connecting to A,
> > will cause A to contact C.
> >
> > there are two ways round this:
> >
> > 1) upgrade samba to "DFS-aware"; upgrade your clients to "DFS-aware".
> >    this will involve some code writing in samba.
> >
> > 2) use the (new) automap features (that i don't fully understand) which
> > will allow you to mount the user's home directory from the NIS auto.home
> > map.  this specifies the host as well as the directory.  you will need to
> > be running a samba server on _every_ host referred to in the auto.home
> > map.  i suspect that there is more work to do in this area.
> >
> 	Thank you very much for replying to my post Luke.
>
> I am already using the auto.home  NIS map in all of our systems and I have used
> the nis homedir = Yes flag as well. What I do not understand is why would we
> have to use samba on _every_ host in the automounter entries.

because (and this is the bit about the home.map support that i don't
exactly understand, and don't quite follow) when you do a domain logon to
server A, the home.map support will feed the client with
\\auto-home-server\share (don't know what the share is - it's probably
homes).

where auto-home-server should be the server component of the home.map entry.

this should be, in your case, server C.  which should cause the client to
attempt to connect to server C using SMB.

whether this is what you want is another matter.

> Shouldn't samba deny access to untrusted hosts?

i have no idea.

?

> So, shouldn't samba by default not mount a filesystem that is not explicitly
> exported as a local filesystem on a machine the server is running on?

i think that this is an administration configuration issue, not a samba
issue.  if you choose to export a filesystem, and then provide an SMB
share for the mount point, that is entirely your prerogative.

adding code to stop such exports is just as easily achieved by not
sharing that mount point, or using the "hide files = " option.

am i missing something here?

> > that depends on whether you have allowed guest access or not (which,
> > amongst other things, is a compilation option).
> >
> > you will probably find that "invalid users", with the right kind of guest
> > access compiled in, will be mapped to the guest account.  set "guest ok
> > = no" in each share that you do not wish to allow guest access.  and
> > check the guest compilation options.
> >

> I set guest ok = no , and I can still mount \\A\root.

send your smb.conf file to the list.  let's have a look, ok?  i need to
know what you mean by "mounting \\A\root".  is it an explicit share?  is
it a [homes] share?

also, what are the permissions on the directory?  also, what uid and gid
does the smbd process come up under?

luke