SAMBA for NT User Profiles (Part 2)

Jeffrey Liu jeffreyl at riskdevel.ml.com
Tue Aug 12 16:01:33 GMT 1997

Hi all,

Currently I have a Solaris 2.5 box running Samba 1.9.16p11.
I also have a group of NT workstations which are in a domain  XYZ, but
I do not have a resource server within domain XYZ nor do I have access
to create shares on the PDC.  I'm using Enterprise Administrator for user
management, and for all intents and purposes, it is identical to "User
Manager for Domains" within NT Server.

Within Enterprise Administrator, there are two main dialog boxes.
The first asks for User Profiles: Logon Script Path and User Profile Path.
The second specifies the Home Directory.

I'm not using a logon script, so I'm not concerned with that, but within
User Profile Path I tried to use "\\SAMBAHOST\%username%\%username%.usr"
which does not work.  The above error message of course disappears if
I used a local path, i.e., "C:\USERS\DEFAULT\%username%.usr" instead.

My attempts to direct user profiles onto a SAMBA share (home share typically)
results in an error message when the users log on stating that:

"Unable to load your central profile.  The cached copy of your profile will
be loaded instead.  Possible causes of this error include network problems,
insufficient security rights, missing or corrupt central profile."

Other than using an NT Server share for user profiles, is it possible to
configure SAMBA for this purpose?

One answer I received from Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at cb1.com>:

> true.

> i have found that "logon path = \\%L\homes" fails, but "logon path =
> \\%L\%U" does not.

I was not quite sure where Luke was entering that command since I'm not
sure that Enterprise Administrator has the exact same convention.

Connecting the Home Directory with drive H: to \\SAMBAHOST\%username%
works.

Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey

P.S. if respondants could send a copy of their smb.conf file
it would be very help and greatly appreciated.