Win'95 DNS resolution (Samba digest 1371)

billjr at penny.com billjr at penny.com
Mon Aug 11 17:44:37 GMT 1997

Wrote: "Ian Kremenic" <ian at nismat.org>
    From what you've described, the Win95 box is looking to the SCO box
    for DNS, but the SCO box isn't a name server--it's getting name
    service from somewhere else, namely the host specified in
    /etc/resolv.conf (or it's just looking up names in /etc/hosts).
    Either tell the Win95 box to get name service from the server
    specified in resolv.conf, or make up an lmhosts file for it based on
    the /etc/hosts file on the SCO box.  Or, setup the SCO box as a
    nameserver, if you feel like it.

Yes I was missing the obvious. I had not set up DNS.
Thanks to all who replied privately and to the list.

- and -

Wrote:  "Darrin M.  Gorski" <dgorski at ford.com>

    I would suggest you turn off DNS, and use a hosts file on the Win95 box.
    It looks just like the /etc/hosts file on your SCO box. Just FTP it to the
    C:\WINDOWS directory, but make sure you 'get' it as ASCII.

Roeland Meyer made a suggestion about setting up a secondary nameserver on the
SCO box (thank-you Roeland!). Your suggestion is much simpler to implement and
may well be the solution I'm looking for ... at least temporarily until
the secondary nameserver is set up.

Excellent list. I'm enjoying it. Sorry about the messed up 'subject' line.
I'll put together something on my end to parse the digest back into individual
messages which are easier for replying.