Win95 connects, WinNT does not.

Ed Maple Ed.Maple at corp.netcom.com
Sat Aug 9 01:42:37 GMT 1997

Let me start off by saying that the problem I'm having does not have
anything to do with the password encryption thingy seen in NT4SP3. I
already fixed that. (Phew!)

First the vitals:
    UNIX server running Solaris 2.5.1
    Samba 1.9.16p10
    Win95 systems
    2 NT server 4 systems, one at SP3 the other at SP1

Now my problem.

On the Solaris machine, I've the home directories shared and another
special directory shared. The home directories can be successfully
connected to from all Windows systems (both Win95 and NT). However, the
[sagent] service can only be connected to from a Win95 system. Both NT
systems return an error, "Incorrect password or unknown username for
\\camis\sagent".

Here's my smb.conf file:

[global]
   workgroup = MIS
;   dead time = 60
   debug level = 3

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0775
   valid users = %S

[sagent]
   path = /stage
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   force group = sagent
   force user = data
   valid users = nc1278,nc1330,nc0833,data
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0760
   hide dot files = yes

I've gone through the DIAGNOSTICS.txt file to no avail. I've also tried
looking through the FAQ (perhaps not hard enough!).
I'm sure the problem is "really obvious" but I can't see it. Help ...
please?

Ed Maple
UNIX Systems Admin.
Netcom Online Communications