concurrent logouts hanging

James Robnett james at nmt.edu
Fri Aug 8 22:30:31 GMT 1997

   We have recently discovered a problem with our win95/samba setup.
The clients are 486/66's the servers are:
sparc5         Solaris 2.5 [netlogon]	samba-1.9.17alpha4
alpha1000/233  OSF 3.2	   [homes]	samba-1.9.17alpha4

   Roving profiles and login scripts are enabled, share modes were
disabled on the netlogon server (it seemed to interfere with concurrent
logins).

   Everything appears to work fine except for one peculiar case which we
discovered while testing a new lab.  If the same user logs into 2 or more
clients at the same time then only the one which logged in first can log out.
The other client(s) will hang waiting for explorer to close.  Killing
explorer won't help, the machine has to reboot.

   According to the client logs on both servers the connections open
normally and the closure of those connections is normal.

   We've tried turning off profiles, login scripts, all shares but
netlogon, toggling share modes, toggling fake oplocks, pretty much
everything we could think of.... nothing helped.

   We added the 'max mux = 50' fix mentioned elsewhere though it's
supposedly the default in samba-1.9.17alpha4 ... no help there either.

   We never see any problem with multiple users logging out as long as
they're different users.

   Here is the smb.conf from the netlogon server.  The [homes] server is
unimportant since the problem occurs whether that server is running or
not.

   Any input would be greatly appreciated, in general this isn't a serious
problem but it is annoying.

James Robnett			       	email: james at nmt.edu
New Mexico Tech				phone: (505)835-5662
Computer Center

[global]
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   max mux = 50
   debug level = 2
   protocol = NT1
   domain controller = 129.138.4.59
   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   wins support = yes
   wins proxy = yes
   os level = 40
   security = user
   password server = pheidippides
   logon path = \\fractal\homes\win
   logon script = test.bat
   workgroup = TCC
   guest account = ftp
;   dead time = 15
   log file = /var/adm/samba/var/log.%m
   lock directory = /var/adm/samba/var/locks
   share modes = no

[netlogon]
    directory = /var/adm/samba/lib/netlogon
    browseable = yes