tuning options and samba1.9.17alpha5 (Was:Visual C 5.0 loosing on samba1.17alpha4)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Fri Aug 8 18:51:08 GMT 1997

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Hermann Lauer wrote:

> Hello Luke,
>
> thanks for the prompt response !
>
> On Aug 8,  3:22pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > is this vc 5, or vc 5 with the 200mb patch applied?
> >

> The User has the patch to VC5.0++ installed, which announces
> itself as "The Microsoft Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 1".
>
> If this is not the "200mb patch", please tell me !

clueless - i just recall, a month ago, that we were having severe crash
problems with vc5.0++.  so, when a patch was available, we downloaded
it.  the size of this patch is, apparently, about 200mb :-)

utter stupidity.  never mind.  but it eliminates some sillies from the ms
side.

> I have switched of any tuning option I found in smb.conf, but still sometimes
> VC5.0++ doesn't find his dll's (which are local). Happens often only the second
> or third time when opening and closing VC5.0.

???

sounds like we're doing something (or you've got a parameter set) that is
upsetting w95 (oh what a surprise).  tried that "max mux = 50" instead of
the 500 you have right now?

> Any clues how to try to debug that thing further ?

well, if you have time, run off samba-1.9.16p9 and put the debug log
levels as high as you can stand, and then switch to samba-1.9.17alpha5.
see whether there are any significant differences in the log.smb files.

> > > 3) Under win95 and roving profiles and a loginscript.bat you can't use the
> > > "net time /set /yes" command, this kills the execution of the loginscript
>
> "net time \\<sambaserver> /set /yes" works, "net time /set /yes" not while I
> trying alpha5. So for you "net time /set /yes" also works with alpha5 ?

ah.  net time /set /yes.  right.

i never use net time /set /yes - i always do net time \\sambaserver.
we've added (at microsoft's request) a new "time server =" parameter to
samba-1.9.17.  this defaults to NO.  try setting it to yes, and then let
us know if net time /set /yes works.

"time server = no" stops samba announcing itself as a time server.
apparently, not even NT server announces itself (by default) as a time
server: it's a configuration option that you have to enable.  and when
microsoft pointed this out, we added it in.

> > > An unresolved problem remains: win95 hangs while logging out from the samba
> > > server which act as domain logon server.
> >
> > this happens when max mux = 2.  try setting max mux = 50, which is the
> > default for this parameter on nt server.
>
> max mux=50, the default.

good stuff.

luke