NTP support (was: set unix time via samba)

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Thu Aug 7 02:18:11 GMT 1997

At 06:10 AM 8/7/97 +0000, Darrin M. Gorski wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
>> set up domain logons; set up a batch file with net time \\samba-server
>> /set /yes.
>>
>> see documentation (docs directory).
>
>He means the other way, how can samba update it's clock from a PC.
>Something like 'smbclient \\\\server -time -set -yes' or whatever.

Well, not. But I did get a utility which will bypass the Samba issue
altogether.

http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/

It's called Tardis. Scott Armstrong sent me the reference. What it does is
turn the WinNT workstation into an SNTP server. Now a Linux box can be
time-sync'd with a Windows box, or vice verse. It was the missing piece *I*
was looking for.

Now, who wanted that thingy?

BTW, from a systems prespective, "net set time" sucks because of the drift
on the PC-clones are never consistent bettween machines. I've seen machines
off by as much as 1 minute per day. In that case, even a daily  "net set
time" is not enough. But, on other machines a weekly run is more than
sufficient.

For those who are not yet convinced, just think of what happens when "make"
is run on a samba shared drive and the client and server are on two
different time phases.

For this reason, I suggest that Samba have the feature for sake of
completeness, but that it not be used.

Roeland M.J. Meyer (RM993)
e-mail:		rmeyer at mhsc.com
web pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer