case-problem in passwords

Thomas KIRCHTAG tkircht at qspr03.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 6 17:10:22 GMT 1997

I have spent the last days wondering why my domain logon doesn't work and
came up with a stange effect:
My setup:
Samba 1.9.17alpha5 on the server
Win95 (950a) on the clients
everything configured for Domain Master on Samba

It all works OK and domain logons from Win95 do what they're supposed to,
except if I use mixed-case passwords!
My own password works fine, as long as I do NOT use the samba box as
domain controller (logon controller).
I even tried changing my password to something all lowercase and logging
on to the domain (successfully!) then changing it back to mixed case and
mounting some drives (again successfully!)
But it won't let me log on with the mixed case password.
I tried (nearly) all possible combinations -> mixed-case fails at domain
logon....
I tried fiddling with the case options on the netlogon share, but tu no
avail.
Has anybody else experienced this (and found a solution)?

My smb.conf (excerpts):

   workgroup = QSPR

   [global]
        os level = 35
        load printers = no
        security = user
        debug level = 1
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/smb-log.%m
        max log size = 2000
        server string = QSPR Server (Samba %v)
        character set = iso8859-1
        mangle case = no
        case sensitive = no
;       default case = lower
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        encrypt passwords = no
        create mode = 0755
        read prediction = yes
        valid chars =  Ä:ä Ö:ö Ü:ü
        max disk size = 1500
        dead time = 15
        comment = %S auf %h
;; This is supposed to enable Domain mastering
        wins support = yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        logon script = logon.bat
;;
        veto files = quota.user quota.group
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
;
; Für domain controller
;
   [netlogon]
        path=/usr/local/samba/netlogon
        browsable = yes
        writable = no
        public = yes
        mangle case = no
        case sensitive = no
        default case = lower
        preserve case = no
        short preserve case = no

---
Thomas KIRCHTAG                        mailto:tkircht at iDAS.co.at
Tel.:++43-664/223 16 23
FAX :++43-1/689 82 52                  http://www.iDAS.co.at