Net use problem (fwd)

Xiaoduo Sun xdsun at msn.com
Fri Aug 1 04:58:00 GMT 1997

You can find words about the guest account from HINTS.txt, BROWSING.txt, and
smb.conf man page, etc., documents. The following are some excerpts might
helpful to you.

Services other than guest services will require a password to access
them. The client provides the username. As many clients only provide
passwords and not usernames, ....

Some people find browsing fails because they don't have the global
"guest account" set to a valid account. Remember that the IPC$
connection that lists the shares is done as guest, and thus you must
have a valid guest account.

If the service is a guest service then a connection is made as
the username given in the "guest account =" for the service,
irrespective of the supplied password.