Unable To Connect To SAMBA Shares

Atkinson, Robert RATKINSON at tbs-ltd.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 11:05:16 GMT 2009

I've installed SAMBA 1.1 and configured the same as our test server (which
works fine).

When I try to connect to the share, I just keep getting prompted for a
username and password. I've tried various combinations, but no joy.

I'm happy the server is a member of the domain :-

BETA_ROB$$$ net rpc join --user=coadmin       --server=codc-1
Password:
         Joined domain UK.
BETA_ROB$$$

All the log file says is :-

[2009/02/24 10:56:39, 1] SAMBA$SRC:[SOURCE.NSSWITCH]IDMAP_TDB.C;1:(397)

  idmap uid range missing or invalid

  idmap will be unable to map foreign SIDs

[2009/02/24 10:56:39, 0] SAMBA$SRC:[SOURCE.NSSWITCH]IDMAP.C;1:(749)

  ERROR: Initialization failed for alloc backend, deferred!

Config is :-

[global]
        workgroup = UK
        server string = Samba %v running on %h (OpenVMS)
        security = DOMAIN
        username map = /samba$root/lib/username.map
        log file = /samba$root/var/log_%h.%m
        load printers = No
        os level = 65
        preferred master = No
        domain master = No
        admin users = cifsadmin
        create mask = 0755

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0750
        browseable = No
        vms ods5 volume = No

[robs]
        comment = Test Directory
        path = ops$data:[robert]
        read only = No
        create mask = 0750
        vms ods5 volume = No

Any ideas?

Rob.

Any opinions expressed in email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of the company. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient
or entity to whom they are addressed. It may contain material protected by attorney-client privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use is strictly prohibited.

Random House Group + 44 (0) 20 7840 8400
http://www.randomhouse.co.uk
http://www.booksattransworld.co.uk
http://www.kidsatrandomhouse.co.uk
Generic email address - enquiries at randomhouse.co.uk

Name & Registered Office:
THE RANDOM HOUSE GROUP LIMITED
20 VAUXHALL BRIDGE ROAD
LONDON
SW1V 2SA
Random House Group Ltd is registered in the United Kingdom with company No. 00954009, VAT number 102838980