HP CIFS vs JYC SAMBA 2.2.8

Michael Ober mdo at wakeassoc.com
Fri May 16 14:05:14 GMT 2008

OK - I made the transition and found one bug (reported to HP already)
and one medium level difference between the two versions of Samba.  The
bug is that you _MUST_ have the statement "follow symlinks = Yes" in the
[global] section.  This has been confirmed as a bug in the base samba
version by Jeremy Allison and I gave HP the reference to his
confirmation.  The medium level difference is that JYC handled VFC files
properly and HP CIFS doesn't handle them.  I worked around this by
converting the VFC text files to Sequential Stream via the convert/fdl
utility.

Performance wise HP CIFS is about twice as fast as for file IO and even
faster for directories with large numbers of files.  In addition, once I
hooked to our Windows AD domain connections have been seamless.

Mike Ober.