Problem Installing Samba V2.2.8 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2

Caroline Hibbad crh at ams.org
Fri May 25 17:26:54 GMT 2007

Hello,

I hope someone can help me...I'm having a problem installing Samba V2.2.8
on an OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 machine, with DEC C V6.5.  (MultiNet V5.1 is
also installed on this machine.)

My problem happens when I run INSTALL.COM.  (A cut/paste of the problem is
below.)

Just to summarize, I downloaded the install package
"samba-2_2_8-src-20050817.zip" from http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/ and
followed the installation instructions:

  - $ unzip "-V" SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC-20050817.ZIP
  - $ back SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC-20050817.BCK/save/sel=[samba-2_2_8-src...]
        userc:[samba-2_2_8...]/own=system
  - $ set def userc:[samba-2_2_8.vms]
  - $ @build73  (NOTE:  I DIDN'T get any compile or link errors)
  - $ @install

(I should point-out that this is a new installation of Samba, although
this is the 2nd time that I tried to run the install, that is why you
see [SAMBA_NEW] in the SAMBA_ROOT default below.)

***
The following is the output (and error) that I get when running
INSTALL.COM:

        The Samba files reside in a directory tree pointed to by
        a logical SAMBA_ROOT.

Enter DEVICE:[DIRECTORY] for SAMBA_ROOT [AXP12$DKB100:[SAMBA_NEW]]: userc:[SAMBA-2_2_8]

Creating Directories...
Copying files...
Setting file protections...
Granting identifier SAMBA_ROOT to SYSTEM
UAF-I-ALRGRANT, SYSTEM already granted SAMBA_ROOT identifier.
%DELETE-W-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR.LOCKS]*.TDB;*
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
%SET-F-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for SAMBA_ROOT:[LIB]SMB.CONF;
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
***
I took a quick look at INSTALL.COM and I see:

  $       copy 'vmsdir'smb.conf_template samba_root:[lib]smb.conf_template

I don't see where SMB.CONF actually gets created.  I'm wondering if I
can just change the output name on the COPY command to SMB.CONF however, I
thought I would pose the question to this group since it looks like others
have successfully installed this on their systems and I don't see anyone
reporting this error.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Sincerely,

Caroline Hibbad
American Mathematical Society