NMBD process crashing

King Andrew J AJKING at mail.dstl.gov.uk
Thu Mar 1 15:01:55 GMT 2007

Andrew King
Snet NT/VMS Systems Administrator (FRN)
>Dstl Business Systems, Service & Support
>Building A2, Room G053
>T: 01252 45 6256 or (9) 6800 6256
>F: 01252 45 5271 or (9) 6800 5271
>P: +44 (0)7659 172 140
>E: mailto:ajking at dstl.gov.uk

To log an IS incident please call the Service Desk on x8787 (internally) or
0870 8718787. Alternatively email mailto:servicedesk at dstl.gov.uk

This there an easy way to find out?

>> I have had this issue ever since Samba was installed and have
>> implemented a fix of Stopping and Restarting the whole of
>Samba over a
>> weekend to get round the issue.  I saw an article about the NMBD
>> process crashing and the only answer at that time was as I
>have already done.
>
>at which time ?

Back late 2005 or early 2006?

>> The situation appears to be that NMBD process starts up as
>normal when
>> the server is booted or rebooted and runs quite happy for a
>period of
>> time.  The NMBD process then appears to crash and I am
>unable to find
>> any files or logs that can help with diagnosing why.  I then
>manually
>> start up the whole of Samba to get the NMBD process up and running.
>
>I'm not aware of a crash, but I know that NMBD had problems
>with some system resources, acquiring too many locks without
>releasing, or other resources.
>You should at least have the newest release of Aug. 17, 2005:
>
>http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/samba-2_2_8-src-20050817.zip
>
>and related files.
>
>However, I just looked on our system and saw that the lock
>problem does still exist.
>
>Please have a look at $ monitor lock, and see if you have
>increasing lock counts. If you have, then you should kill the
>NMBD process, and watch the lock display. This is what I found
>(only the "Total" parts shown):

With no SMBD
Total locks 2516
Total resources 1997

With 1 SMBD
Toal locks 3366
Total resources 2813

>NMBD (and about 10 SMBD processes) still running:
>
>                             OpenVMS Monitor Utility
>                            LOCK MANAGEMENT STATISTICS
>                              1-MAR-2007 14:18:53.75
>
>                                        CUR        AVE
>MIN        MAX
>
>     Total Locks                   33062.00   33204.17
>33062.00   33250.00
>     Total Resources                7895.00    8064.25
>7895.00    8115.00
>

>After killing all NMBD and SMBD processes:
>
>                             OpenVMS Monitor Utility
>                            LOCK MANAGEMENT STATISTICS
>                              1-MAR-2007 14:20:29.78
>
>                                        CUR        AVE
>MIN        MAX
>
>     Total Locks                    3103.00   32205.18
>3103.00   33250.00
>     Total Resources                3034.00    7832.76
>3034.00    8115.00
>

>Some time later:
>----------------
>                             OpenVMS Monitor Utility
>                            LOCK MANAGEMENT STATISTICS
>                                  on node ALPHA1
>                              1-MAR-2007 14:45:12.12
>
>                                        CUR        AVE
>MIN        MAX
>     Total Locks                    5426.00   12465.34
>3101.00   33250.00
>     Total Resources                3123.00    4528.05
>3032.00    8115.00
>

>I didn't investigate further, but it seems that this could
>also be your problem.
>
>Any ideas, anybody? JYC ?
>
>Albrecht
>
>PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT ETIQUETTE MESSAGE BEFORE POSTING:
>
>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only.  If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,
or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is
subject to monitoring and auditing."