NMBD process crashing

King Andrew J AJKING at mail.dstl.gov.uk
Thu Mar 1 09:08:03 GMT 2007

Can anyone help/explain why the NMBD process on my VMS server is crashing, I
will explain.

VMS 7.3-2, with TCP 5.4 on Alpha ES47 7/1150
SAMBA 2.2.8

I have had this issue ever since Samba was installed and have implemented a
fix of Stopping and Restarting the whole of Samba over a weekend to get
round the issue.  I saw an article about the NMBD process crashing and the
only answer at that time was as I have already done.

The situation appears to be that NMBD process starts up as normal when the
server is booted or rebooted and runs quite happy for a period of time.  The
NMBD process then appears to crash and I am unable to find any files or logs
that can help with diagnosing why.  I then manually start up the whole of
Samba to get the NMBD process up and running.

Questions:
Is/are there any options that can bee added to capture the details of the
NMBD process if that is at fault.
Is there an issue with NMBD process crashing as explained and what are the
fixes.
What other diagnostic tools are there that can be used to monitor and report
on Samba processes.

Andrew King
Snet NT/VMS Systems Administrator (FRN)
> Dstl Business Systems, Service & Support
> Building A2, Room G053
> T: 01252 45 6256 or (9) 6800 6256
> F: 01252 45 5271 or (9) 6800 5271
> P: +44 (0)7659 172 140
> E: mailto:ajking at dstl.gov.uk <mailto:ajking at dstl.gov.uk>

To log an IS incident please call the Service Desk on x8787 (internally) or
0870 8718787. Alternatively email mailto:servicedesk at dstl.gov.uk
<mailto:servicedesk at dstl.gov.uk>

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only.  If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,
or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is
subject to monitoring and auditing."