Samba and OpenOffice - save file

Albrecht Schlosser ajs567 at tiscali.de
Tue Feb 20 14:02:49 GMT 2007

Hi, all,

there seems to be a problem with writing an OpenOffice file more than once
without closing it (open the file, modify, save, modify again, save or close the
file (with saving)). There is an error message "write error" from OpenOffice,
and the file can't be saved any more. After this error message, the file can't
even be saved to another file name, neither on a Samba share, nor on a local
disk. The latter problem seems to indicate that something is wrong with
OpenOffice, too, but this seems to be a follow-up from the first write error. Of
course, the problem does not arise, if you write the file (more than once) to a
local disk, and I also tried it with another Windows share (i.e. a share on
another windows system).

System and test details:

OpenOffice 2.0.2
OpenOffice writer (*.odt) or calc (*.ods) file (maybe others, too)
OpenVMS V7.3-2 on Alpha (DS15)
Samba 2.2.8-20050817 (latest download from JYC's server)

When Office file are saved the normal way from a windows system, they are
written in stream format. When updating such a file, it works fine once, but
when somebody tries to save the file a second time _without_ closing it, then
the file can't be written. In this case, I couldn't find a message in the Samba
user log file.

Then, I made some experiments with changing file attributes (set
file/attr=rfm:udf and/or /attr=rfm:fix and /attr=lrl:512 /attr=mrs:512). With
this setup, I could get error messages, but maybe that doesn't help. FWIW, here
they are (the original file name is "a.ods", but the delete error states that
"a0.ods" could not be deleted):

[2007/02/20 14:19:00, 0] DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.SMBD]FILEIO
.C;2:(42)
   seek_file: (test/a.ods) sys_lseek failed. Error was invalid argument

[2007/02/20 14:19:07, 0] DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.VMS]VMS_SUP
PORT.C;356:(1129)
   vms_delete error file : test/a0.ods : file currently locked by another user

[2007/02/20 14:21:34, 0] DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.SMBD]FILEIO
.C;2:(42)
   seek_file: (test/a.ods) sys_lseek failed. Error was invalid argument

[2007/02/20 14:21:43, 0] DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.VMS]VMS_SUP
PORT.C;356:(1129)
   vms_delete error file : test/a0.ods : file currently locked by another user

Can anybody else confirm these problems, or does anybody know how to avoid this?

Thanks in advance
Albrecht