Error: failed to set uid

Giorgio Santiano giorgio.santiano at polito.it
Fri Sep 29 13:54:42 GMT 2006

Hi everybody.

I tried to install and configure samba 3 on openvms 8.2

I followed the HP OpenVMS Common Internet File System (CIFS) Based on
Samba Installation and Configuration Guide,
and now the public sharing works fine (in the smb.conf the part test)
but I can't connect to a sharing using my credentinals

I created the user system (of course it exists on openvms) with
$ PDBEDIT -A SYSTEM
and I set a password.

Now when I try to connect this disk with MS WINDOWS I get the error:
The specified *network* *name* is nolonger *available*
<http://groups.google.it/group/microsoft.public.win2000.networking/browse_thread/thread/1d1216e30874686d/0fddf9343b07b775?lnk=st&q=network+name+available&rnum=1&hl=it#0fddf9343b07b775>

If I watch the samba log the error I get is:
[2006/09/29 14:34:17, 0] SAMBA$BUILD:[000000.lib]util_sec.C;1:(93)
  Failed to set uid privileges to (-1,65540) now set to (0,0)
[2006/09/29 14:34:17, 0] SAMBA$BUILD:[000000.lib]util.C;1:(1491)
  PANIC: failed to set uid

-------------------------------- SMB.CONF
---------------------------------------

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# For a step to step guide on installing, configuring and using samba,
# read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection. This may be obtained from:
#  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
#
# Many working examples of smb.conf files can be found in the
# Samba-Guide which is generated daily and can be downloaded from:
#  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: MIDEARTH
workgroup = DIDATTICA

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = Samba %v running on %h Server

# Security mode. Defines in which mode Samba will operate. Possible
# values are share, user, server, domain and ads. Most people will want
# user level security. See the Samba-HOWTO-Collection for details.
security = share

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
guest account = SAMBA__GUEST

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
log file = /samba_root/var/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories