Samba-vms file versions

dhruva dhruvakm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 03:50:46 GMT 2006

Hi,

On 10/12/06, Mark W <Mark.Wesling at uch.edu> wrote:

> Thanks  Mike.   Of course, that is not what I wanted to hear.
>

> Michael Ober wrote:
> >
> > No.  VMS is one of the few, if not the only, file system that supports
> > versioning.  As a result, no version of Samba support versioning.

 To add to this response: Samba in it's current form does not support
this feature. However, using the VFS layer architecture that Samba
follows, this can be implemented. Once you over ride the "readdir()"
in the VFS layer, you should be able to see all the versions from the
windows client.
 However, I do not know what behavior you expect once you open a file
with a particular version, modify and save it. Do you expect a new
version to get created? If "yes", then it gets a little more
complicated.
 Let us see if this is a feature really needed by a larger number of
users of Samba on VMS. I would like to know the benefits and
requirement.

-dk

--
dhruva (dk)
Contents reflect my personal views only!