Version 2.0.3 for OpenVMS

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Tue Oct 10 18:25:29 GMT 2006

On 9th.October.2006 at 22:22, Mark Wesling wrote :

> Keep getting the same error when trying to map a drive.
> Error is all over the internet:
> The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

[I don't have the answer - just trying to help a bit]

Perhaps it would help if you told us what the relevant parameter values
are in your smb.conf ... what is the global "security" parameter set to,
and what are the permitted users ("valid users", "guest ok", etc.) of
the share you're trying to map to ?   Is there a domain (if so, what
kind of PDC ?), or is this simple workgroup stuff ?

> I see the fix on linux/unix to be adding "encrypting passwords = yes"
> and having a password file.  I don't see where to do this in OpenVMS.

So ... er ... what authentication _have_ you set up ?

FWIW: my VMS colleagues here have Samba 2.2.4 running on our various VMS
servers, with authentication handed off to the normal VMS UAF subsystem
(I don't believe they've ever managed to integrate with our Windows ADS
domain).  We (the users) can all map drives from our WinXP workstations
to our VMS home directories without any problem.

[disclaimer: I'm not a VMS admin, just a lurking Unix guy]

PS: Samba 2.0.3 is very old now .....

Nick Boyce
EDS, Bristol, UK