ODS-5 issues: broken utime

Steven M. Schweda sms at antinode.org
Thu Jun 1 21:24:48 GMT 2006

From: "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw at qsl.net>

> >> Does the DECC$RENAME_NO_INHERIT fix this?
> >
> > Even if it does (and it seems like it should) it is a 7.3 feature,
> > right?  Since JYC's Samba supports 7.1 and greater, it doesn't seem like
> > something we can rely on.
>
> Unfortunately I do not have a chart of the minimum releases for DECC
> features settings existing.  It looks like additional code would be
> needed for that.

   The latest Info-ZIP code relating to the decc$feature*() stuff uses:

#if !defined( __VAX) && (__CRTL_VER >= 70301000)

in accord with the

#if __CRTL_VER >= 70301000

in <unixlib.h> on my Alpha (and its absence on my VAXes at VMS V7.3)
but that covers only the support functions, not individual features.
However, it's a pretty safe bet that before the C RTL with the support
functions, you won't be able to do much, so that sets a minimum on the C
RTL, although a modern C compiler with its "backport library" stuff
could compensate for an earlier VMS version for at least some of these
things.

   Because of the need to get "DECC$ARGV_PARSE_STYLE" set early, the
Info-ZIP programs use LIB$INITIALIZE to set all of these things.