SAMBA permissions on group shares

Willis Ralph Willis.Ralph at asx.com.au
Fri Jul 14 01:29:57 GMT 2006

I am running OpenVMS V7.3-2 with Samba version  2.2.8

The product is up and running and has been added to an NT Active
directory as a member node with no issues.
My problems are to do with security. Security has been set up to use
"Domain security". Personal or home shares are fine and easy to set up.

My issue is with group shares. On a UNIX based samba installation this
is straight forward as UNIX has multiple groups and the share security
can be easily administered by assigning users to the relevant groups in
order to access to a group share. The problem is that VMS doesn't have
this same idea of groups as UNIX. I have thought about using a resource
identifier that can be used via ACLs to "own" the share. The users can
be granted the resource identifier in question and the "valid users"
list in SAMBA can have the resource identifier as its valid user.
The bottom line is that SAMBA doesn't seem to respect ACLs ,they don't
seem to work. It could be that I am not approaching this problem in the
most sensible way. Can someone confirm that SAMBA at this version does
not respect  ACLS ?

Regards
Willis