NMBD Problem on Samba2.2.8+Multinet and OpenVMS 7.3-1

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Jan 10 16:41:38 GMT 2006

COLLOT Jean-Yves wrote:
> This is true.
> The NMBD.PID file contains the PID of the NMBD process. When NMBD starts, it
> reads that file, and checks if that PID is a living process. If it is, NMBD
> thinks that another NMBD is already running, and stops.
>
> Obviously, this is a typical Unix scheme, but it does not work too well on
> VMS.
>
> The easiest way, of course, is to delete that file in the SAMBA_STARTUP.COM
> procedure.
>
> The best way, I think, should be to replace that file with a VMS lock. This
> is a suggestion for those of you working on the next version of Samba/VMS.

In SAMBA 2.0.6, I used a macro in the config.h file to replace the call
to the routines that generate/check the PID file with code that does
nothing.

There is no need for the PID file mechanism to be replaced, the second
instance of NMBD or SWAT will just fail with a diagnostic code about not
being able to bind to the port.

For SMBD, the PID file is meaningless also, but it's presence interferes
with interactive debugging.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net