NMBD Problem on Samba2.2.8+Multinet and OpenVMS 7.3-1

COLLOT Jean-Yves jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Tue Jan 10 09:19:48 GMT 2006

This is true.
The NMBD.PID file contains the PID of the NMBD process. When NMBD starts, it
reads that file, and checks if that PID is a living process. If it is, NMBD
thinks that another NMBD is already running, and stops.

Obviously, this is a typical Unix scheme, but it does not work too well on
VMS.

The easiest way, of course, is to delete that file in the SAMBA_STARTUP.COM
procedure.

The best way, I think, should be to replace that file with a VMS lock. This
is a suggestion for those of you working on the next version of Samba/VMS.

JY