Samba 2.2.8 for OpenVMS VAX 7.3 Vaxstation 4000/60

John Santos john.santos at post.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 15 07:17:13 GMT 2006

Luiz Guilherme Regis Emediato wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> After installing Samba 2.2.8 for OpenVMS VAX 7.3 on a
> Vaxstation 4000/60 machine, I noticed that SMBD service remains
> disable in the TCPIP services (Version 5.1-15). I can overcome
> this by issuing "tcpip enable service smbd" from the command line.
> However it will not remain enabled after a reboot.

You need to execute sys$startup:samba_startup.com from your
sys$manager:systartup_vms.com file, either directly with

   $ @SYS$STARTUP:SAMBA_STARTUP

or via batch with

   $ submit/noprint/notify SYS$STARTUP:SAMBA_STARTUP

This command file will enable the service and also
define all the necessary logical names and so forth.

> After a little research I found that the following command would
> set the flag ENABLE to the service permanently :
>
> $ tcpip set configuration enable service smbd
>
> But it does not work. I got an error, that is, TCPIP seemingly wont
> let me save the configuration. I decided to apply the TCPIP ECO
> patch:
>
>         DEC-VAXVMS-TCPIP_ECO-V0501-155-4.PCSI
>
> Installing patch was a piece of cake, but the problem remains with
> a new error message:
>
> TCPIP> set config enable service smbd
> %TCPIP-E-CONFIGERROR, error processing configuration request
> -RMS-F-DUP, duplicate key detected (DUP not set)
>
> If I do:
>
> tcpip> set config enable NOservice smbd
>
> followed by:
>
> tcpip> set config enable service smbd
>
> no error is displayed but flag remains DISABLED.
>
> Does anyone happen to know the correction for this problem ?
> Is there a special ECO patch in order to fix this in TCPIP services ?
>
> TIA,
> Luiz Regis
> PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT ETIQUETTE MESSAGE BEFORE POSTING:

John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
781-861-0670 ext 539