Samba configuration file for VMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Oct 7 16:58:52 GMT 2005

George Blum wrote:
> I am new to Samba though not to VMS. I need some help in setting up the
> configuration file for Samba. I am running VMS 8.2 and have the latest
> Samba compiled and installed. My questions are

The term "latest" is ambiguous.  There is a 2.2.12 release in the wild
that is missing some of the latest 2.2.8 OpenVMS specific changes.

And there are several versions of 2.2.8 out in the wild from various
sources.  The distributions now have a date encoded in then, and a check
of http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/ shows that the latest is
20050817, which means it has a few more VMS specific changes than the
2.2.12 version at: http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~malmberg/samba/

> 1. How do you tell samba which disk to serve? i.e if I want to serve
> disk dka100:[000000] what do I put in the config file?

/dka100/  Putting in the 000000 may or may not break things, but should
not be present in a translated name.

A better name than /dka100 would be one of the logical names assigned by
the mount command, like /disk$user_disk1.

DKA100:[000000] might work, but also may not.  I have not tried it with
the 2.2.x version.

Ideally it the configure file should support concealed rooted logical
names and VMS syntax.

I generally restrict the use of physical device names only to the few
utilities and commands that must be done on them.

It makes managing and using a large farm of VMS systems easy when I can
depend on the user files being in user_root:.

By using concealed rooted logical names, I can upgrade a systems with
different numbers and types of disk devices with out having to ever
change an application setting.

Applications that store physical device names in their configuration
files are in conflict with efficient system management.

> 2. If I want samba to use the authorize file for login passwords, what
> do I put in for passwod?

That requires that you disable encrypted passwords on your clients.

Otherwise you need to use the smbpasswd program to create the initial
password, and your users need to use it to change them.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network