smbd purpose?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Nov 26 18:50:51 GMT 2005

Dr Robert Young wrote:
> With guidance from some people on the list, I was able to get the
> smbpasswd set correctly, and I can access my VMS directories now.
> However I have a question....
>
> In my tinkering I had issued a TCPIP SET NOVERV SMBB as part of my
> efforts to "clean out" things between install attempts, and had not  set
> it up to run again ( I forgot :- } )

The SMBD service needs to be enabled from TCPIP.  What happens on VMS is
that the TCPIP service dispatcher listens on port 135 and when it gets
an incoming connection request, it starts up the SMBD process as a response.

After the session is over, the SMBD process lingers for a short time in
case another connection comes in from the same source, but if it does
not, it will terminate.

> I can not easily read the docs on samba 2.2.8 (8/17/2005) since they
 > are all HTML (I am working on a VT320 ).

LYNX is available for VT320s, but that really does not make it much
easier.  In the VMS kits 2.2.x, many of the the internal links are all
wrong because they are set for UNIX pathnames with multiple dots in them.

The documentation for 3.x is not that much different from the 2.2.x
version and is available at the SAMBA.ORG web site.

There is not much in the way of VMS specific documentation.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network