smbd purpose?

Dr Robert Young rcyoung at aliconsultants.com
Fri Nov 25 14:21:38 GMT 2005

With guidance from some people on the list, I was able to get the
smbpasswd set correctly, and I can access my VMS directories now.
However I have a question....

In my tinkering I had issued a TCPIP SET NOVERV SMBB as part of my
efforts to "clean out" things between install attempts, and had not
set it up to run again ( I forgot :- } )

TCPIP> show serv

Service             Port  Proto    Process
Address            State

FTP                   21  TCP      TCPIP$FTP
0.0.0.0             Enabled
LPD                  515  TCP      TCPIP$LPD
0.0.0.0             Enabled
MOUNT                 10  TCP,UDP  TCPIP$MOUNTD
0.0.0.0             Disabled
NFS                 2049  UDP      TCPIP$NFS
0.0.0.0             Enabled
PCNFS               5151  TCP,UDP  TCPIP$PCNFSD
0.0.0.0             Enabled
PORTMAPPER           111  TCP,UDP  TCPIP$PORTM
0.0.0.0             Enabled
RDBSERVER            611  TCP      RDB71
0.0.0.0             Disabled
TELNET                23  TCP      not defined
0.0.0.0             Enabled
TCPIP>

However, samba is working just fine.  What is the purpose of the smbd
service exactly???