Viewing multiple Versions

David Taubner DTaubner at exchange.hsc.mb.ca
Wed May 25 17:32:14 GMT 2005

Charles,

Personally I manually create multiple file "versions" when using Windows
applications that don't support the VMS style of multi-versioning.  I doubt
it would make sense to have Samba/Windows behave differently on VMS than it
does on a Wintel or Linux/Unix box.

So, for documents or files where I need a history, I do something like this:

Install_list-01.doc
Install_list-02.doc

And so on...  This is, of course, a work-around, and obviously won't help
your specific case unless you rewrite your VMS application, but I thought I
might suggest it anyway.

Another thought that occurred to me while writing this is to have each user
create their file(s) in a unique directory, and then have a command file
copy and rename them to your 'processing' directory later.  Alternatively
you could have a command file process the named files from my first
suggestion, thus eliminating the need for many directories.  Of course, not
knowing any details of your setup, my suggestions could be completely
outrageous...

Good luck,
David Taubner