dots in directory names of shares on ODS-5 disks

BG - Ben Armstrong BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca
Wed Jul 13 14:21:30 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 10:10 +0200, COLLOT Jean-Yves wrote:

> This will be fixed in the next release. Note that dots in a directory name
> will only be available on ODS-5 disks.

Why not on ODS-2 disks?  The current behaviour is badly broken:

$ mkdir .svn
mkdir: cannot create directory `.svn': No such file or directory

yet, after executing this (on a Linux or Windows client) we see on VMS:

A:..UBY.LIB.SITE_RUBY> xd .dir

Directory DSA0:[DYMAX.PRO.RUBY.LIB.SITE_RUBY]
__2ESVN.DIR;1                 1/69      13-JUL-2005 10:57:39.65  [DV,DM]

And:

A:..UBY.LIB.SITE_RUBY> xd [.__2esvn]
%DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found

So Samba happily creates the directory, but then you cannot access the
directory after it is created.

We cannot change the disk these files are on to ODS-5.  This has thrown
a major monkey-wrench into our plans to migrate sources that are
currently maintained on VMS into a PC server Subversion repository and
then checkout copies of those sources directly onto VMS drive from a PC
that has the VMS drive mounted as a Samba share.

Please note that we do not need dots anywhere in the filename, just at
the beginning of the filename (if this makes solving the problem for
ODS-2 any easier).

Ben