Different times on VMS and Windows for a file

Michael Mazzoni mmazzoni at wi.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 00:52:50 GMT 2005

Environment:  VMS v7.3 on an Alpha, Samba-VMS v2.2.8.

There's a message in INSTALL.COM v2.0 1-May-1999 which says:

        The time zone logical SYS$TIMEZONE_RULE (or POSIX$DEFAULT_TZ)

        have not been set. One of them must be defined to reflect

        your time zone and daylight saving begin and end times.

        See file TIMEZONE_RULE.TXT for the correct format of

        this logical.

My SYS$TIMEZONE_RULE is:

       "SYS$TIMEZONE_RULE" = "CST6CDT5,M4.1.0/02,M10.5.0/02"

POSIX$DEFAULT_TZ is not defined (I don't know the format).

The times displayed by a DIRECTORY command on VMS and the

Windows Explorer are off by 6 hours.  For example, VMS says the file

was created at 21:48, but Windows says 15:48.

Before upgrading to Samba-VMS v2.2.8, I used v2.0.3, and I could "fix"

this time difference by defining the logical TZ.  That doesn't seem to

work with v2.2.8. In v2.0.3, this logical was referenced

in posixtim.c.

My questions are:

1)       is this a Samba-VMS problem?

2)       if so, how do I fix it?

3)       what is the format for POSIX$DEFAULT_TZ?

4)       can someone post TIMEZONE_RULE.TXT or tell me where I can find it?

5)       searching all the .c files in v2.8.8 doesn't find
SYS$TIMEZONE_RULE,

            so how is the time differential handled?

Thanks in advance,

Mike