Samba 2.2.8 (JYC 31-Mar-05 version) problem with records longer than 1022 bytes

BG - Ben Armstrong BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca
Wed Aug 17 11:32:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 20:29 -0500, David J Dachtera wrote:
> Just wondering if there is a "Known Issues List" for the current JYC
> release(s).
>
> ...and/or if anyone knows of anymore such "holes in the road" that may jump
> out and bite us.

We have three outstanding issues with the current release:

1. "File has changed" message appears in Vim+Cream after file is
   loaded.  This appears to happen only when the user differs from
   the owner of the file.  Saving the file so it is now owned by
   the user prevents the message from appearing again.  JYC is unable
   to reproduce this.

2. Applications which read and write stream-lf delimited files that
   are run on a Windows or Linux PC (e.g. our new editor, cream/vim)
   corrupt the RMS file format because Samba writes the file as type
   "Stream" and does not detect that it is Stream-lf, even if the
   original version was Stream-lf.  Because the file is really
   lf-delimited, any application that subsequently reads the
   corrupted file will see bare linefeeds at the end of every line.
   This problem appears to have deep roots in Samba architecture, so
   is not easily fixable.

3. Copying of some files results in a zero-block destination file.
   We will be investigating this one to see if it is the same
   line-length problem that JYC promises to fix in the next release
   as soon as we have a new patch from him to try.

Ben