Vim detects a file on a VMS Samba share has changed when it has not

BG - Ben Armstrong BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca
Mon Apr 4 13:12:39 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 12:02 +0200, COLLOT Jean-Yves wrote:
> I think that differences 1 and 2 are caused by the fact we don't have the
> exact same version of vim, and/or we do not have the exact same cream
> configuration. I suggest to Ben to try with vim alone (i.e. without the
> cream layer) to see what happens (check that the behaviour is the same as
> mine).

I tried with Vim alone.  The bug is not reproducible.

> I don't understand difference 3. It could be some privilege or file
> protection issue. However, I try with users without any privileges, and my
> file protection, as far as I know, are the same as Ben's, and I can't get
> the same results. Could you give me all the details about the file
> protections and the characteristics of your users?

Users are all unprivileged and belong to the [dv,*] group.  Nightly, a
generic "dymax" user (also unprivileged) handles batch processing of our
"task" files.  Thus, on a typical morning when I'm deciding what to do
for the day, my task file initially is owned by [dv,dymax].  Several
seconds after I start editing this file with Cream, the warning message
is triggered.  If I write the file, it becomes owned by [dv,bg] (my vms
uid) and no further warnings appear.  If I subsequently edit this file
now owned by [dv,bg] the warning no longer appears.  Also, if, before I
start editing, I change the ownership alone (e.g. by set file/own=bg
from a privileged account) and edit it (i.e. without first changing the
file type from Variable to Stream) the warning no longer appears.  So
far as I can see, ownership is definitely a factor.

> If we can't find the reason, I plan to give to Ben a modified module that
> will do more logging about the modification time reset processing.

That would be helpful, thanks.  I'll have to wait for Rod to finish his
vacation before installing it, though.  He's coming back a week from
tomorrow.  So, if I have time, I'll see what else I can do to try to
isolate the problem and/or make it reproducible for you this week.

Thanks,
Ben