Bug report (12=17020 TC029) SAMBA 2.2.8 release 20040908 - intermittent content loss

BG - Ben Armstrong BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca
Fri Sep 24 13:40:48 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 23:38 -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> Please take a look at the resulting file with a dir/full.

There needn't be a resulting (i.e. output) file for this bug to
manifest.  The corruption is seen in the Perl program as the files are
being *read*, not written.  Likewise with the recurrence of the bug in
Araxis merge.

It seems, though I have not yet done a complete survey of a large enough
sample to be 100% certain, the files being read are all Variable length
record format, and not Stream or Stream-LF.

> I am still trying to get familiar with this code, but I am finding
> references to special handling if SAMBA detects that it is a VMS text file.
>
> Any VMS file that is not a stream or a fixed record size file may get
> corrupted by an out-of-order transfer through SAMBA as the seek()
> function will not go to the correct place on a write.

OK, so far this is consistent with our test results.  We'll let you know
if we discover corruption in other file types, e.g. Stream or Stream-LF
files.

Ben