Bug report (12=17020 TC029) SAMBA 2.2.8 release 20040908 - intermittent content loss

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Sep 24 03:38:10 GMT 2004

RR - Rod Regier wrote:
> (n.b. a shorter version of this was reported to JYC in August,
>       but he was unable to reproduce the failures).

>          We would like to provide a good test case, but such eludes us.
>          Since corruption is serious, we thought the list subscribers
>          should be alerted to watch for same.

Please take a look at the resulting file with a dir/full.

I am still trying to get familiar with this code, but I am finding
references to special handling if SAMBA detects that it is a VMS text file.

Any VMS file that is not a stream or a fixed record size file may get
corrupted by an out-of-order transfer through SAMBA as the seek()
function will not go to the correct place on a write.

I do not know if Samba 2.2.8 will do this, but I found some code where
the VMS specific code was checking for text file types.

I saw a similar problem in the SAMBA 2.0.6 timeframe that I do not
recall finding a resolution to.  I think it only involved VFC files that
SAMBA simulates as STREAM files.

I was able to reproduce the problem back then by playing with a small
file originally created on VMS with notepad.  My memory is a bit foggy
on the details.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net