Samba improvements needed

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Sep 24 00:11:53 GMT 2004

Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
>>By delaying the open until there is actual data to write or the client has
>>specified the resulting size, then Method A can be used.
>

> [Deleted all the rest of the context because I only wanted to reply to
> this point.]
>
> I do not think you can defer opening the file until there is data to write
> because of the race that implies. If the file did not exist when the
> NTCreate&X was processed, that may seem fine, but if a subsequent
> NTCreate&X comes in with a conflicting share mode, that one may succeed
> when it shouldn't, especially if it manages to write before you do.

As I understand things now, the share mode conflicts are handled by a
tdb, so there should not be a conflict.

However, at the time of the open request, the vfs module can take out a
VMS lock on the filespec, and that will provide a cluster wide protection.

The VFS layer in SAMBA allows much improvement in the VMS port.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net