Packet analysis: WinXP vs. Linux<->VMS shows dramatic differ ences

COLLOT Jean-Yves jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Wed Sep 22 13:59:29 GMT 2004

Once again, I am sorry, but it looks like I don't understand.

As far as I know, Ben pointed out a problem of performances when writing
files on a Samba/VMS 2.2.8 server from an XP client. I could reproduce that
problem by using "ruby", but I could not by using anything else. Another way
to say is: according to me, the "WinXP vs. Linux<->VMS shows dramatic
differences" topic is true only when using "ruby". Could someone tell me if
I am right or wrong here?

When you refer to "a Windows NT 4.0 client on SAMBA 2.0.6", or to issues
dealing with "modify in place stream-CRLF or stream-LF files", you are
perfectly right, but I don't clearly see the connection with Ben's problem.

Porting Samba 3 or 4 to VMS is obviously a very nice thing to do, but I fear
that it will take a lot of work and quite some time. In the meantime, I may
be able to understand or even fix Ben's problem on 2.2.8, so I prefer to
focus on that specific problem.

I have a last question: what is exactly "the notepad problem on VMS" ?

JYC