Samba 2.2.8 Print job number handling?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Sep 20 11:18:14 GMT 2004

Is there code in the SAMBA 2.2.8 port to deal with mapping the VMS job
number to a range that will work for SAMBA?

The VMS job number is an unsigned 32 bit integer, and the SMB protocol
can only handle a 16 bit integer.

So there needs to be a dynamic mapping of VMS job numbers to SMB job
numbers.

Or ever time a job number larger than 65535 is issued, it will not be
accessible to SAMBA.

For 2.0.6. I set the job name to encode the SMB job number, so that the
print queue management commands would work only with print jobs
submitted through SAMBA, as that was the only ones that the translation
could be verified.

If this still is an issue with SAMBA 2.2.8, I will enter a bug in
BUGZILLA to track this.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net