smbd serves connects only when ran in interactive mode (-i)

Ashot Bord abord at chek.com
Sun Sep 19 17:21:02 GMT 2004

JY, thanks for trying it out!

I ran it on SIMH, the simulator. It is not speedy for CPU, but fast with IO.
It may as well be that the CPU speed is the cause of the broken socket, but FTP
in service mode doesn't have any sensible delays and doesn't time-out,
and it also spawns a child.

Still in the smbd_startup.log  written by the SMBD child process it seems that
the process _is spawned, and I also could see SMBD_xxx  on sh system, and the client
hasn't timed out yet, but it would shortly after -- and then the SMBD_xxx would
exit at the same moment.

So you also may be right that it's the WIN-client that times-out. Is there any
way to find if this is the case, or somehow increase the WIN timeout param, so it
gives more time to establish the connect?  BTW -- often it takes longer for the
WIN-client to return err:54 (nothing is loading VAX, same idle setup) -- so it doesn't
seem that WIN-client is in rush.

I still suspect there could be some sockets issue, possibly related to TCPIP
itself. I read of other users  running SAMBA on SIMH, though  not sure about
their VMS/TCPIP config.

Anyway if I'd be able to try TCPIP 5.3 I could see if TCPIP was the case,
otherwise it remains defunct so far.

AB

>On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:10:27 +0200 COLLOT Jean-Yves <jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr> wrote:
>Hi.

>My best guess is that your VAX is too slow. What kind of VAX is it ?

>I think that, when run in service mode, the delay needed for starting the
>process and initializing all is too long for the client. When run in
>interactive mode, everything is done before the connection from the client,
>and that's why it works.

JY