smbd serves connects only when ran in interactive mode (-i)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Oct 8 20:07:29 GMT 2004

Rabbin, Robert (GE Energy, Non GE) wrote:
> I have also installed the new 2.2.8 on an Alpha workstation to try to get it
> to work... it does everything but show up on the PC.

Some more specifics may be needed:

Specific version of 2.2.8? there have been several posted.  Of course in
this case it may not make a difference.

What version of OpenVMS?

What TCPIP program?

Any ECOs that may be related to TCP/IP or the CRTL.

>  It appears to be in an
> infinite loop until the PC times out.  I have the older version running on
> another node in the same cluster of Alphas running v7.3 and it works
> instantly and reliably.  I cannot upgrade until this works.  Anything I
> should check to get it to work right?

There was a discussion about this last month from someone else that was
affected by this.  It was started on September 11th.

You can look at in the archives of this list or on the GMANE newsgroup.
  The discussion is fragmented into several threads because one of the
mailers involved is not following internet conventions with regard to
the subject line.

The general thought was that it was taking too long for the TCPIP
dispatcher to launch the new SMBD and for the SMBD process to complete
the connection to the client.

I can not find that anyone reported a successful resolution to the
original poster's problem.  I also have not found that all the suggested
solutions were tried.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net