SAMBA stopped working

Tillman, Brian (AGRE) Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Nov 2 13:46:05 GMT 2004

John wrote:

> This may or may not be an issue.  I have not looked totally at this,
> but I think it is how LANMAN usernames that can not be represented on
> the host OS are mapped to host usernames.

Here's the contents of my USER.MAP:

tillman = tillmabg tillman

> I do not see the code in the smb.conf that enables the use of
> the guest
> account if the account does not exist,

What would this code look like?

> so my next guess is
> that in this
> map file, it maps the "Administrator" account to something.

See above.

> My guess is that the password for that Administrator account
> must be in
> the SMB PASSWORD database, and if you change it on the client system,
> it also must be changed on the host, if you are not passing through
> the authentication to a domain controller.

The only password in the database is my own and I can't get Samba to recognize it any more.

> With out setting the Map to guest parameter that Jean-Yves
> pointed out
> to me about a month ago, the guest account basically does nothing.
>
> Did you change the Administrator account about 2 months ago?

I changed nothing.
--
Brian Tillman

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.