SAMBA share access problem report (Dymaxion 17=17275)

BG - Ben Armstrong BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca
Mon Nov 1 14:01:55 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 13:05 +0200, COLLOT Jean-Yves wrote:
> Now that I know that the problem appears only when the McAfee antivirus is
> there, I could fix it.
>
> I am sending a corrected version of the OBJ files directly to Rod, a "DIFF"
> of the sources directly to John, and I'll include the fix in the next
> release.

Thanks for the fix.  Looks good so far.

Now I can report a second problem, which I had hoped was just another
manifestation of the first, and therefore would be fixed by this patch.
Unfortunately, it was not.

The trouble is, on the same new machines that have the antivirus product
on them, we have an app that creates a lock file on an OpenVMS Samba
share, and then fails to delete it afterwards.  The leftover lock file
prevents further accesses to the resource it is locking until it is
manually removed.  The app is written in VB, and only fails on these new
machines, not the old ones.  At this point I can't tell if the fault is
also related to the antivirus product or not: I have an open call to our
own PC support guys to do some further testing.

I know that's not a lot of info to go on.  But does anything come to
mind?

Ben